Friday, May 27, 2016

Book Babies

Recently, I read a post that stated readers are beginning to shy away from authors who refer to a book as their baby. While I understand the point that was being made, my books will always be my babies. I can’t help it. I love them. I’ve loved them from the beginning. Since that first moment a character appeared from out of nowhere in my head and said, ‘Pst… I’m not going to leave you alone until you put me down on paper.’
The point that was being made, in the post I mentioned, was that some authors are so overprotective of their book baby, that a reader is no longer willing to risk the read. One wrong comment in a review, or a missing star or two and all hell breaks loose, because how dare they insult such a precious angel. But, that’s when I say, it’s all in the parenting.
In my opinion, the written word is birthed from an author’s imagination no easier than a child is from its mother. Let me take a moment to explain. I have three children, and while I have yet to experience a physical pain that could stand up to the horrors of squeezing another human being out of my body, the emotions are similar. 'Can I really do this?’ 'What if I’m not good enough?’ 'Oh dear God, I have no idea what I’m doing.’ 'I’m going to screw this up so bad.’ Granted, that could just be me, but you get the idea.

After all the questions, fears and struggles of guiding and forming characters, while allowing them to be themselves, you then expose your book baby to others, giving it small doses of freedom.
Beta readers are the forever friends that a book grows up with, not always agreeing, but with its best interest at heart. A book’s editor is the favorite teacher, correcting and instructing with love in hopes that one day it will be great. Proofers are the close friends that always have your back. You know the ones that tell you you have something stuck in between your teeth or toilet paper hanging from you shoe, when everyone else just points and laughs. As graduation day rapidly approaches, because somehow it all just happened so fast, the book’s cover is the gown that was so intricately put together by its cover artist, in order for it to put its best foot forward as it steps out to face the world ahead.
It is now time for the author to let go…
Of course, graduation day is also release day so you brag on your book baby. You invite your friends the bloggers, their friends, and their friend’s friends. In fact, at this point you’re so proud, you’re stopping strangers on the street and asking them if they want to celebrate.
Then, the high of accomplishment starts to wear off. Fear and anxiety loom over what’s to come. Now that your book baby is all grown up, it will have some acquaintances. Readers that nod and smile without an opinion either way. Some will dislike the book and it’s hard not to question why. Why don’t you like my baby? Truth is, your baby just might have a flaw or two. You’re going to want to correct those as any good parent would. I’m a firm believer that every book has its own unique personality. Sometimes it’s as simple as a personality clash between a book and its reader. And there are times where someone is just being a troll. There is no way of knowing if they actually read your baby or not. For some reason they are miserable human beings and thrive on the unhappiness of others. In this case, even though you’d like to, do not be the book parent hiding behind the playground slide waiting to jack up the jerk that’s messing with your baby. Hold your head up and take the high road. Because, there is nothing worse than seeing an author lose their cookies over a review that isn’t going to make or break their career, unless they let it.
There will also be those that take the book into their hearts, the ones that see all that it was meant to be, and cherish every word.
Books are more than words on a page. From the author who created it, to the betas that befriended it, the editors that guide, proofers that polish, cover artists who dress it, all the way to the readers who love it. The written word is alive. A living thing that is nurtured, cared for, and loved from the beginning.
That being said, unlike a human being books do not have free will, so it is truly all in the upbringing.
Every book started out as someone’s baby. As Authors, it is our responsibility to raise them right, and when the time comes, let them go. Allow it to stand on its own two feet.
Let’s face it, no one really wants to be the crazy overbearing in-law that doesn’t allow a book baby to grow up and have a life of its own, hindering the chances of it living up to its full potential.
(#repost from M's original tumbler post 9/25/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment